CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Is it just a hair do or are you signing away your rights to your own head?

For those of you that have read my blog know how excited I was to have picked up the technique. I wanted to continue to see my consultant. God knows I did not want the responsibility of doing it myself; I've been a cosmetologist for almost 20 years. I like the idea of going to get my hair done. Well my schedule changed, meaning I'm working mad overtime. I had more things added to my plate. I'm going back to school. I sort of lost time to even get my hair done. Didn't expect all these changes but some things I found to be more important than getting my hair done. With my crazy schedule, I was unable to get in to see my consultant. I thought the nappy loc tool would really help me out in between appointments. When I told my consultant that I purchased the tool, she did not sound too pleased. Her respond to me was I could damage my locs (which I totally understand) and she also said self taught techniques would make more repair work on her. I can appreciate her concerns for my new locs as well as her hard work but with the changes that has happened in my life, I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. She really made me feel like I had not choice but to come and let her retighten my locs. I could be taking her reply wrong and I so hope I am but I am a very busy person sometimes. On top of that I'm not use to going to get my hair done on a regular basis. I like the idea but not use to regular appointments. So did I just sign a contract for her to mother my head? Someone made a comment in their blog that it isn't rocket science to pick up the technique. And it's not. I now have a different outlook on this. I love my locs. The best thing I could have ever done, hands down. Do I continue on or just do it myself?

4 comments:

Locs2Envy said...

As a cosmetologist myself, I can see both perspectives. My final say on the whole thing is this:

1. It's your hair and if you want to do it yourself, do it. She can't dictate to you how you spend YOUR money (and we know it's about the money ultimately)

2. If she indeed has to spend extra time on your hair doing repairs, so be it. That's what you are paying her for. More money for her, right?

3. If she has time issues and can't spend the time on your hair, making repairs or otherwise, she should just say so and discontinue doing your hair.

Even if you decide to not do it yourself, I would recommend finding someone else who is not going to make you feel bad about your financial, or whatever, reasons for not getting you hair serviced regularly.

As a single mom of three, you surely have more important things to stress about. Be Blessed!

Rchgrl1 said...

Nihuru
LOL..You said just what I was thinking. When I was typing my post, some things I took out. Call myself trying to put it nicely but Honey you took the words right out of my mouth. I really appreciate your comment. By the way..the hair is looking really good. I peak in on you from time to time to get updates on your color. I love the color. Can't wait till I can get almost grown like you and put some in..LOL

Locs2Envy said...

Honey, I am just keeping it real with you. It is what it is. As a single mom myself, there is not a soul in this world who is going to tell me when or how to spend my money. It's bad enough that the kids do, every time they need something LOL. Tell girlfriend to pack her bags and get to steppin. I bet when she gets a shut off notice for one of those bills, she'll wish she had your money and may even call you "just to see how things are going".

You have a little way to go before you color...or not...now remember that your hair shaft is going to swell a little when you finally are able to color and your locks will be slightly larger. I colored before I was supposed to (the story is in my blog somewhere) but as a cosmetologist I knew how the color would act, I was just unsure of how the locks would behave. So I banded and got busy. I figured if I could shampoo my hair (wet) why couldn't I color it (wet). The hair doesn't know if it is wet from water or color...I can rationalize the heck out of anything LOL.. I only colored around the area that I had banded and stayed away from the scalp because I didn't want to be touching my hair up all of the time.

JUST Euphoria said...

hey Rchgrl thanks for stopping by my site, yes maam its our birthday!! Your locks are looking good